Thursday, September 2, 2010

Stroke Victim: My Love and Life Story

 Me, before the stroke.
Me, a year after the stroke.
Me, now attending church and happier, too. 

Now thanks be unto God, which always causeth us to triumph in Christ, and maketh manifest the savor of his knowledge by us in every place. 2 Corinthians 2:14
 
Friends, I want to share you my own story of coping as a paralyzed stroke victim in a place where there is no medical help for poor patients like me to get better except for strong determination and acceptance of my destiny,  the encouragement of a very dear one despite the ups and downs of the love relationship, plus the support of family and friends.  Best of all, I have the most powerful God to back me up!

My story:
I was a stroke victim and paralyzed for more than 3 years now (more reason was stress due to studies and my blood pressure went up). Based on me , I am more or less 80%-85% well because I can walk now and do some light work at home, go to the grocery store on my own, etc. than when I started as a bed-ridden patient. I am half-body paralyzed, right side, with little movement in the arms and hands but not opening the fingers (I can close them though). I can talk with a slur but still understandable.

I was a college teacher before the stroke (but no insurance as my length of service did not warrant the pension payment due to teachers serving qualified years of service). How I wish to undergo a speech therapy (perhaps on aid through a foundation or groups ) so that I can work online as a teacher-tutor and earn something for my daily needs.

At 43, I am still single, and living with my sister's small children and a house help (she and her husband are not with us for financial reasons). We are not financially stable so that I am not able to get the regular medical treatment I need. My last medical treatment in the hospital was more than two years ago and the daily complete medicine intake plus physical therapy were 6 months only immediately after the stroke (again due to finances). The only medication I get now are anti-hb tablet (1 variety only) and multi-vitamins given by my uncle from USA plus some mixture of herbal medicine as tea, green tea and non-fat milk that I drink every morning. I eat meat sparingly, usually boiled or broiled chicken without the fat. In other words, I am on a healthy diet. One thing I do twice a week is hot-stone and shiatsu combined massage from a trained lady friend in reflexology. It's the only thing I can afford paying (in my country, services like this is affordable). I am a Christian and truly believe God would heal me soon.

I have a more than five years boyfriend overseas (our relationship goes beyond the stroke). He is poor and a true Christian also. Our only means of communication is chatting through the internet or calling by phone (and he cannot understand me except when I laugh and say I love you). We saw each other personally once - three years ago. I quarreled with him many times to free him. Yet, he still wants to marry me next year despite everything.

Honestly, a lot of my friends consider my life as worth telling. There is only one thing I could tell about all these. God is amidst all these. One day, He will finish my story and it must be good. Why? I believe I am favored by Him!

(c) August 2010, Luisa Mercado (mermalu, lifebeyond)

4 comments:

Toyin O. said...

What a compeling story; God will continue to heal you Luisa. Praise God for the Godly man he gave you. I will keep u in prayer!

Deborah said...

Hi Luisa, Thanks for sharing some of your story. I pray that you will be healed and also that you and Mike will be together soon.

MikenLuisa said...

Thanks for your encouragement, friends. Mike and I are more encouraged to pursue what God has intended for us. We feel it is His will because at the height of my decision to give up on Mike, God intervened by convicting me through His word. I now know that Mike is very special to Him. Mike is meant for me at God's appointed time.

Luisa

Artisoo said...

Happy make you show more pretty. Love what you show in the latest pic.