Friday, October 2, 2009

True Living God Not Idols

-Courtesy of ChristArt.com

While I was having a reflection this morning, I could not but think of the worst scenarios that happened to the Philippines and some countries hit by typhoons and earthquakes. In fact, super typhoons hit the Philippines twice this week. Why?

I am not pin-pointing on anything as we are not to judge. Just a sort of a question shook my mind a little. Is there something that should remind us that God is a true and living God and therefore He needs reverence? Let me take you to the old testament and what God had done to His people.

By the way, I am writing bible verses so that you will know it in not my invention. Here they are:

A) The Ten Commandments

3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me. 4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness [of any thing] that [is] in heaven above, or that [is] in the earth beneath, or that [is] in the water under the earth: 5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God [am] a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth [generation] of them that hate me; 6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments. Exodus 20:3-6

B) God Reminded Israel

Ye shall make you no idols nor graven image, neither rear you up a standing image, neither shall ye set up [any] image of stone in your land, to bow down unto it: for I [am] the LORD your God. Leviticus 26:1

4 Then I will give you rain in due season, and the land shall yield her increase, and the trees of the field shall yield their fruit. 5 And your threshing shall reach unto the vintage, and the vintage shall reach unto the sowing time: and ye shall eat your bread to the full, and dwell in your land safely. 6 And I will give peace in the land, and ye shall lie down, and none shall make [you] afraid: and I will rid evil beasts out of the land, neither shall the sword go through your land. 7 And ye shall chase your enemies, and they shall fall before you by the sword. 8 And five of you shall chase an hundred, and an hundred of you shall put ten thousand to flight: and your enemies shall fall before you by the sword. 9 For I will have respect unto you, and make you fruitful, and multiply you, and establish my covenant with you. 10 And ye shall eat old store, and bring forth the old because of the new. 11 And I will set my tabernacle among you: and my soul shall not abhor you. 12 And I will walk among you, and will be your God, and ye shall be my people. Leviticus 26:4-12

C) When Aaron Made The Golden Calf

And the LORD plagued the people, because they made the calf, which Aaron made. Exodus 32:35

D) When God Showed Himself To Moses

And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live. Exodus 33:20

There are other verses in the bible from Old to New Testaments that showed God is jealous upon people who do not worship Him, but worship idols instead. Idols mean the real idols of what God or saints look like; money; precious people, times, and anything more than we give Him glory and adoration.

Friend, this is another thing to think about, right?

(c) October 2009, Luisa Mercado

No comments: